Research Update

Over the past week I have been trying to find the supports to my evidence I’ve found in Life magazine.

What I discovered is that newspaper articles mostly found in the New York Times are great supports because they are short and are to the point. They talk about how millinery sales increasing throughout the WWII period and how Department of Agriculture (so basically the government) sponsored cotton stockings for women instead of nylon and silk. I am still looking for lipstick details.

It becomes very clear that hats, stockings, and lipstick (once i find supporting articles) were staples in women’s fashion during WWII. However, as for my argument I am concerned about what exactly it should be. As I research I keep going back and forth between A) arguing that YES hats, stockings, and lipstick were staples in US women’s fashion and B) arguing that because of the war ¬†the fashion industry purposefully pushed hats, stockings and lipstick (I would show the examples of diction and use sales as results and the pattern of ads)

Both options are closely related…and I am leaning towards B, but I don’t know if in that version I can talk about briefly the important aspects of each product and how it progressed…

2 Responses to “Research Update”

1. hmarshall4 Says:

Wow, the Department of Agriculture actually sponsored cotton stockings? That’s so strange. I would’ve assumed that any government organization would’ve been too preoccupied during the war to care about such ‘trivial’ matters.

It’s weird that they don’t have as much information on lipstick. It’s such a pivotal aspect of women’s history, so you would think that they would put more effort into researching it.

2. jjourdan Says:

I think your second thesis sounds like there’s more to it. I understand that certain things are staples in fashion, because things like that exist today. But I don’t really care about them being staples during WWII until you mention the effects of the war on them.